Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Traffic Part I

The word horrendous should be synonymous with "Lincoln Traffic". I am not talking about rush hour traffic, I am making reference to traffic 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. I will explain. Growing up in Omaha, it was known as the 10 minute city. Virtually any part of the city could be reached in 10 minutes or less (unless you took 72nd Street). Now, not so much. But still, considering it's size, one can get around fairly quickly. For instance, last night I had a job at 108th & Maple in Omaha. The manager lived in Council Bluffs. When we got done I felt bad she had to drive "all the way back" to CB. But she said that it was really only about a 15 minute commute with the interstate. With that information, I figure it's around 15 miles or so to her house. Now here in Stinkin Lincoln, to go that far takes quite a bit longer. During non rush hour traffic, it takes me 25 minutes to get from my house to the Waverly I-80 entrance, which is about 15 miles, maybe a little less. Don't even get me started about how long it takes during rush hour. I have noticed that people here in Stinkin Lincoln have developed coping skills to deal with the traffic. They don't even realize it's bad. It's like a bunch of zombies behind the wheels of all these cars. They don't even know what to do when they have more than one lane of traffic to choose from. (Usually they just bottle everything up, so the non-zombies have to suffer) You will pull up to a red light, which happens at every intersection with a light (Apparently Stinkin Lincoln officials have not read the manual on how to time their lights), there will be two lanes of traffic to choose from, yet you will have 15 cars in the left lane and maybe 1 car in the right lane. I think to myself, is there something up ahead that is going to impede my ability to get over once the light turn green? No, the zombies apparently just do whatever the zombie in front of them does. Zombie see, zombie do. Well, it is apparent to me that "traffic" is going to be a recurring topic here in "Stinkin Lincoln". So, I will save the rest of this rant for later. Until then, remember, don't drive angry.

1 comment:

  1. your studious remarks of driving through lincoln were literally driven into my head already this week. i was nearly run over by a semi, hit by an old lady, and sideswiped by a soccer mom driving an escalade. i don't believe the other person(s) even realized what was going on. i guess it's just true, zombies (even those that drive cars), just want to eat your brains.

    ReplyDelete