Friday, October 16, 2009

The Grass is Always Greener

Okay, what the hizzie!? (Look that one up in a your urban dictionary.) In typical Nebraska fashion, we went directly from Summer to Winter. Okay, okay. I know it's not as cold as it is going to get, but I happen to enjoy FALL. What we are experiencing here in the Midwest is what it feels like right before the snow starts flying. Like I said, I enjoy fall. In fact, until recently, it was my favorite season. I love the colors of fall, the cool weather, football, and even the occasional cloudy/rainy day. But enough is enough. Rain, rain go away, come again...IN SPRING! I am sure I will get no sympathy, or even empathy for this next statement, but here it goes. What makes all this worse is it's hard to come back from very summery conditions in Grand Cayman to near winter-like conditions here in Hell Frozen-over, USA. Imagine, one day you are on a boat in the middle of the ocean with the sun beating down on you and the temp a horrible 105 degrees, then a couple days later you get off the plane in Omaha, and it's 38. No wonder I caught a cold. That is a tremendous shock to the system. But, like I said, I am sure you are all thinking, "Cry me a river!". So, I will just shut up about the most wonderful place I have ever been, Grand Cayman. But seriously, this weather is just not my cup of tea. I have never considered moving away from this place. But, every passing year, my shoulders hurt more and more, I get more and more grumpy the closer we get to winter, and then when winter comes I get into my full fledged funk (say that one three times fast). My wife is annoyed with me. I am annoyed with me. Yep, the past few year, when we arrive at this most horrible time of the year, I start fantasizing about moving far, far, far, FAR away from here. But then I wonder, where would I go? Arizona? Nah, too hot in the summer. Texas? Nah, not only do I hate the state, but also, my wife has family down there. NO-THANK-YOU! Florida? Too humid. California? Too many people. Washington state? Hmmmm. Tempting. But, I have only been there in August and September, which are the best months to be there. Perfect weather, and Dave Matthews plays a 3 day concert every year. From what I hear, the sun hardly shines the rest of the year. That's exactly what I am complaining about now, why jump out of the frying pan and into the fire? How about Hawaii? Not independently wealthy. As you can see, the grass is always greener on the other side of the country. However, in a few years, as my bones start to ache more and more, maybe I won't care about hot summers.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you made a promise to your father in law to never move his daughter out of Lincoln. Try going going as far south in the city as possible, maybe even Cortland. There's a microbrew there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so small it's a micro-microbrew.

    ReplyDelete