Thursday, July 23, 2009

Circling the Drain.

This post is not for the faint of heart. Put the women and children to bed and take off your rose colored glasses, because we are going to talk about reality and not some made up wonderful thing that doesn't exist. Let's just call a spade a spade and let it all out for just a moment. We are going to talk about big business. Corporate monstrosities that all have this system of things circling the drain. I have one corporation in mind, but why just pick on them. Because no matter which angle you look at any corporation they are all alike. I am in no way speaking of those of us that have a nice small manageable business that only works in our little part of the state. I am talking about those greedy slime balls that want 100% of the market share in their particular niche. I am even talking about the greedy people that own property all over the country and rent it out without ever doing a single thing to keep up that property, and apparently not doing a background check on the low-life's that are renting out said property. In fact, let's start with that, SLUMLORDS. Our neighborhood is peppered with rentals. There is the six-plex in the house that is only 2000 square feet to the south of us where we see the millionaire owner about once every two years. There is also the duplex to the northwest of us where the owners live in Dallas, Texas that I haven't seen since they purchased the house three years ago (I found their phone number in the public records website, HEHE). I love how these slumlords just let the weeds go crazy, let the animals destroy everything inside and out, and find these people that smoke pot as much as a DMB fan sitting up on the lawn or at the very least deal it. Let's destroy quaint neighborhoods from arms length as long as I make my money and those people don't live next to me.

Next we have BIG BUSINESS. Tonight, I went to both Menards and Home Depot to try and order some siding for my garage and more importantly if I can get it by the middle of next week. (For those of you that know me and my garage, yes, it's finally happening. It's amazing what a letter from the city will do to get you motivated.) I had actually priced the siding at both locations a little over a year ago. I went to Menards first because "you save big money at Menards"! I go up to the "Pro" Desk and this kid with a peach fuzz mustache asks me if he can help me. Immediately I think, "Oh, GREAT!". So, I reluctantly tell him what I need and when can I get it, and he started to fumble around with the computer and he said, "I don't know what kind of siding that is." I pointed to the wall behind him and said, "I think it's that stuff there on the display wall that's labeled B4." He says, "Oh, right!". He fumbles with the computer some more and says, I can't seem to find it, hang on. He goes over to this other guy, who actually looked a little more competent (it was a mirage), and told him what I was looking for. Without even looking at the computer he says, "I don't think we carry that", and just stares at me for a second. I say, "Well, they priced it for me about a year ago and they carried it then, would you mind checking the computer for me?" He reluctantly goes to the computer and looks at it for, oh, I would have to say a second and a half and says, "Nope we don't carry it." I said, "Well, last year when they priced it for me they had to call the supplier to get a price, because it's a special order item." He stares at me again and says, "Yeah." "Well, could you see if there is someone you can call to get it ordered?" Menards guy says, "They are probably closed right now." Another stare. I say, "I don't suppose you could take my name and number and find out for me tomorrow and call me with the info?" "Oh yeah, I guess I could." I am sure I won't get the call, but, at least he has now been trained on how to handle this type of a situation.


Now, to Home Depot. I walk in and they too have the siding I need on display. I ask the kid text messaging his girlfriend behind the "Pro" Desk how much it would be and how long will it take to get here. He grits his teeth and shakes his head while turning a deep shade of red (didn't mean to stress the poor guy out with a complicated question) and says, (The things in parenthesis are the things I wanted to say.) "Well, I don't work at the Pro Desk, (Then why are you here?) but I think it usually takes anywhere between a week to two weeks to get special order items in. (Well, which is it, could you find out for me?) Maybe you could come back tomorrow between 8 AM and 5 PM. (But I am here now.) There will be someone that can help you then. (You mean to tell me that there isn't a single person in the store that knows how to do a special order?)" Realizing that I have once again been had by the big box store, I just said, "Oh, okay, thanks."


What I had to deal with is a symptom of the disease that is BIG BUSINESS. Instead of hiring enough competent help, or training people how to do things, they get the kid that just wants to sit there and get paid $6.50 per hour for it. It's all in the name of the all mighty dollar. As long as the corporate fat cats are getting their $1.5 million annual BONUS and making the stockholders money, who cares about the customers, who cares about the mom and pop stores that could be doing a better job that they put under, who cares about offering a quality product, who cares about the people they do business with. It's because of that attitude that the economy is in the shape it is in. Big business is going down and it's going to take the whole system with it.


I for one couldn't be happier.

3 comments:

  1. Home Depot is the worst! I cut my finger pretty bad once while at Home Depot, and it took three people ten minutes to find me some band aids. I should have just walked down the paint aisle and used some masking tape. Probably would have saved me about a pint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's sad to see the caliber of people that are at a lot of these companies. being as i work for a big corporation...in fact the biggest corporation and i know how much they stress customer service. still though, you find people who are just there to do the minimum amount of work possible for the most and quickest way to get some extra cash. having any sort of work ethic or willingness to "go that extra mile" are a rarity these days.

    ReplyDelete