Thursday, July 23, 2009

Tis the Season... Almost.


There I was sitting in the finest steakhouse this side of the Mississippi waiting at the bar to be seated. When I notice a football game on the bar television. (The TV was also dating back to the 1960's.) I look a little closer at the game and it's a Texas vs. Texas Tech game. It being July, I knew it was a replay of an old game, but I couldn't take my eyes off that game. Yep, it's getting to be that time again. Football season!!! Those months between August and February are some of the most cherished months of each year for men and the most despised by many wives. My wife has learned what football season is for me. A time to watch football, but only on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are like the sabbath when it comes to football. Except during bowl season, of course. I say my wife had to "learn" this because she comes from a family where they would rather read a book than "waste time watching an entire" football game. Dorks. That's okay. I would rather watch a football game than read some book on some stupid subject I will never need to know anything about. Don't get me wrong, books are great. I love them. But, I am selective about what I read. If it's not about something I have to learn about, like scuba diving, or who I should take in the 7th round of the my fantasy football draft, I would rather spend my time doing something else. Sorry, my attention deficit disorder seems to be taking over again. Back to football. My wife has adapted well to being a football lovers... lover. If I go to a Husker game or go watch it at a friend's house, she either watches the end, or listens to the game on the radio to see what kind of a mood I am going to be in when I get home. If the Huskers lost, she knows it might be best to ask me to take care of some miscellaneous chore the following day instead of the moment I get home after a loss. She even has taken time to learn about the game a little bit so she can pretend she cares when I talk to her about a certain play. I am happy to say she no longer asks me what inning the game is in and she knows the team in red is the one to cheer for.


In just a few short weeks we will be deep into preseason football on every level. Then, a couple weeks after that, the real thing kicks off. (Pun intended!) I can't wait to see what Bo Pelini puts on the field this year. Will his new quarterback be able to fill the shoes of Joe Ganz? Will Big Suh show the country he is the real deal and dominate like he did last year? What players that we haven't heard of will come out of nowhere to stamp their name on Nebraska Football forever? Then there is the NFL! Being a Denver Broncos fan, I am anxious to see what the new coach will do. Will he look like a goat or a king trading away his star quarterback? Will the defense finally start looking better? Then there is my fantasy football team! Oh boy! How I do love fantasy football. Yep, football is part of me. Every year after the Super Bowl, it's hard to know what to do with yourself after that Super Bowl MVP tells you he's going to Disney Land. Answer me this: Why is it every other sport seems to go on all year, and football only takes up half the year. Seriously! Baseball, April to October. Basketball, October to June. Hockey, October to June, eh. With football having the shortest season, I am going to savor every moment. The only downside to football is, you get done with the season and you finally notice winter is here. Yuck!

3 comments:

  1. I think my wife still struggles with the concept of "downs". But she makes the kids be quiet or go do something else during Husker games. She does grasp, or pretend to grasp, the importance. I still can't talk her into painting her face though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture Julie with a temp tatoo of the Blackshirts skull and crossbones on her cheek and "throwin' up the bones" after a 3 and out!

    ReplyDelete