Saturday, June 27, 2009

HEEEHE! WOOO!


Okay, I know the dude was a freak, but I can't help but share some of my Michael Jackson memories because there was a time when Michael Jackson was cool. Most, if not all, of what I am about to share with you is embarrassing, so the thought of sharing these MJ memories has me feeling a bit ill at ease. Please bare in mind that I was in the 5th grade when Thriller came out, so I didn't know any better.


Memory 1) A friend of mine, that most of you know, but I won't mention his name, we used to have dance contests to see who could imitate MJ's moves. I always lost. I could never moon walk effectively. It always just looked like I was just walking backwards.


Memory 2) I used to have a MJ sticker collection. There was a short lived phase where stickers were "the next big thing". So, imagine how popular I was having several pages of Michael Jackson stickers.


Memory 3) Now for the most embarrassing one. Somehow, I found out what MJ's address was and I wrote him a letter and asked him to call me. For weeks, every time the phone rang, I would get a lump in my throat and the butterflies would start going. I made the mistake of telling one of my older friends that I did this. For the next year, every time I saw him he would say, "Did he call?". And I saw him at least twice a week. Looking back on it now, I am surprised he didn't call, considering I was 11 or 12 at the time. That was right up his alley!


Memory 4) The friend that I used to dance with (how am I not gay!) and I rewrote Billie Jean, with funny (or at least what a 12 year old and a 10 year old thought were funny) lyrics. What's more, we even recorded us singing our new song. We had the song playing in the background on one tape deck, and then we recorded on a second tape deck. It worked, more or less. What scares me, is that his mom is the type to save those kinds of things. There is a chance the tape still exists.


Well, I think that is enough baring of my soul for one day, maybe even a life time. I am feeling very vulnerable right now. So please, be gentle. And remember, I'LL BE THERE...


1 comment:

  1. You know, it's not too late to shoot that video. I would like to see you do "she's out of my life" next.

    ReplyDelete