Monday, June 22, 2009

"It's Like a Sauna In Here!"

What is it with this heat!? This time of the year I always find myself wondering what's worse, winter, or this part of summer? I always come to the same conclusion. It's winter, hands down. At least this time of year you have the sun about 5 hours longer, the scenery is a million shades of green instead of 100 shades of brown, and if you get too hot, you can either go swimming or take a cold shower and sit butt naked in front of a fan set at high speed. I have never actually done that last thing, but my cousin who lives in Australia says that is how he has survived his first summer "down under". Apparently, Aussies are very at one with the heat, as he put it. Very few people have air conditioning, even though summers in Australia are much like being on the surface of the sun. Before they were married my cousin's wife to be came to visit him in Nebraska, and for some strange reason, she came during winter. It's important to keep in mind that Australian winters consist of a not-so-frigid 50 degrees. So, when she had to deal with a real winter, temperatures in the 20's and snow, she thought she might die. All because she is used to warmer temperatures. What does that say about you and I? (or is it you and me?) I love it cool. To me, 68 degrees is the perfect temperature. No matter if it is winter or summer, my thermostat is set at 69 degrees. I realize that I like it cooler than most people, but I am willing to bet that most Americans like it cooler than most Aussies. We are spoiled rotten. I sometimes find myself wondering how people survived during the summer before the advent of the glorious invention that is air conditioning. I can't imagine trying to sleep on a night that says it is 71 degrees, but is at 94% humidity, and that is at the beginning of summer. We will no doubt see nights in the 90's with 94% humidity. Yet, people 50 years ago did it every summer and without the aid of A/C. I remember when I was living with my parents, there were a few summers my dad was trying to save money, most likely during our last recession, talk about your miserable nights. There is nothing like trying to sleep when you are sweating like a fat man at a tax audit. When it got really bad, I would get a wet wash cloth and put it on my head until I would finally fall asleep. Flash forward to our day, and I can't sleep if it's 72 in our house. A few times we have attempted summer camping and I didn't sleep a wink. (What does that mean exactly, "didn't sleep a wink"?) Yep, we are spoiled rotten. Now excuse me while I turn my thermostat down another degree. Why? Because I can. Plus it helps me cope with Stinkin Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment