Thursday, August 20, 2009

Inmates Running the Asylum


Time to gripe.


I can't even really pinpoint what it is I am about to gripe about, but here it goes. I noticed the other day that the ratio for intelligent people to idiots has started to favor the idiots. The sad thing is, it is becoming harder and harder to tell who the idiots are. For instance, over the past year or so, I have hired (and fired) several seemingly well put together young men to work for me. At first they seem very normal, in fact perhaps even above board. But, after a few weeks of putting up a good front, they can no longer stave off what comes natural. They begin to call in sick because they have a little sniffle. They start asking for favors. They start making excuses for all their stupid acts. In other words, their true colors begin to bleed through. Not to mention that, you start to put the pieces of their life together, and see how they have come to the point they are now. Sadly, in most cases, their is no way on earth they are getting out of the hole they have dug for themselves.


Then you have the idiots that you can identify just by looking at them. For instance, tonight I was doing a little job that was in a strip mall. In between coats of wax I would sit outside and wait for the wax to dry and take in the sites. Oh boy. The first site to behold was a 60-something lady driving, what I believed to be, her daughter around dropping off phone books to the businesses in the strip mall. When the daughter got closer to where I was, it was pretty clear to me that this girl was delivering phone books to support her meth habit. How can a woman in her late 30's have so few teeth? What's sad is you can tell that at one time she was probably an attractive lady. Not anymore! Yuck!


The next site I got to see, was the bar across the parking lot. I couldn't see the people in the "beer garden" because of the privacy fence, but I could sure hear them, especially when it started getting closer to "last call". They weren't exactly discussing Obama's health care plan, or even their mama's health. I am sure what they were discussing was very important to them, but from an outsider looking in, it was quite pathetic. Then at about 1:15 AM these ladies came staggering out of the bar, as loud as ever, and jump into the Ford Taurus with parts from about three different Ford Taurus', and all different colors. Winners!


I feel kind of judgemental for saying all this, but sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade? (I wonder where that expression came from? Here is what I just found out: "calling a spade a spade" as an expression long predates the racial connotation of the word spade. As Random House explains, "to call a spade a spade" originated in ancient Greece.) I think it all shows that the world is broken. Kids think it's okay that Miley Cyrus dances on a stripper pole at the Teen Choice Awards, and if anybody says anything, the kids say we are being judgemental. Meanwhile, some 12 year old girl sees it and the next thing you know she has a baby on the way and is addicted to meth. This world is just continually going from bad to worse. And now that that the idiots are winning, is there any hope for recovery at the hands of man? Doubtful. Yep, we better get used to the inmates running the asylum.

No comments:

Post a Comment