Friday, August 14, 2009

Summer Cold, No, It's HOT!


The common cold sucks! But without so much as a doubt, the common summer cold takes the cake! There is nothing worse, well maybe a few things, but up on my list of the worst things is being stuffed up when it is hot and humid. It's hard enough to breathe during a Nebraska summer as it is when you are the picture of health. You see, during the summer here in Nebraska it gets so humid it's almost like when you take in a breath you are trying to breathe while under water through a straw that's above the surface of the water. It just doesn't work! Then you bring the stuffy head into the equation and it's like trying to breathe under water without the straw. So you feel all crappy when you are out in that hot and steamy weather, so you decide to go inside. Though you are hot and sweaty from being out in the equivalent to hell (if there was such a thing) the air conditioning feels even worse. It makes your nose and throat sting with every breath. So you turn down the thermostat and turn off the ceiling fans. Next thing you know you are sweating like a fat man on a treadmill. It's just a no win situation. About the only time I have felt comfortable today was when I took a lukewarm shower. I can't spend the next few days in the shower, my fingers might stay like shrivelled prunes if I did that. The only answer is suck it up (along with a bit of snot) and go about your business. Though it may feel like this virus will hang on forever, there will come a time when I will wake up and not have to blow a cup of green goo out of my sinus cavity. Oh, how I do long for that day!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have you know that I do not sweat on my treadmill.....thats because I don't use it. DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta love it in Nebraska! Why else would you live here?

    ReplyDelete