Thursday, August 20, 2009

No Loitering!


I saw this sign today, and it made me laugh. Not because of what it said, but where the sign was posted. I was at the South Point mall here in Stinkin' Lincoln. I hope I am not the only one that finds this humorous. But, what else are you supposed to do at a mall. And, if we aren't supposed to loiter, why do they have benches for us to rest, and a courtyard with pretty things to look at. When doing these things, are we not loitering? Please note the following definitions for the word loiter:

1) to linger aimlessly or as if aimless in or about a place
2) to move in a slow, idle manner, making purposeless stops in the course of a trip, errand, etc.
3) to waste time or dawdle
4) to pass (time) in an idle or aimless manner

After looking at these definitions, I would think if you were to consult a thesaurus, you might find the word "shop", as a synonym. Yes, the very act of shopping is aimlessly lingering in a place, or moving slowly making purposeless stops. Many times, especially when I was younger, I would go to the mall just to waste and/or pass time in an aimless manner. TO LOITER IS THE VERY ESSENCE OF BEING AT A MALL!

1 comment: