Sunday, May 17, 2009

MY Spaghetti

One of my absolute favorite meals, is one that I make. My wife is a phenomenal cook and loves doing it, but at least once a month she will give me free reign of the kitchen and I get to make spaghetti. I started making spaghetti when I was in the 6th or 7th grade. I had spent years under the expert tutelage of my grandmother. Pretty much every time I would go over to spend the night with my grandparents, we would make spaghetti, and over the years I learned the basic premise for putting together everything to make a decent sauce. My grandmother was a pretty good cook back then, but she never put enough salt, herbs or spices in her food. So, since that first time I made her sauce on my own, the sauce has underwent an evolution to where it has become MY sauce. (Don't tell my grandma, she would shoot flames out of her eyes and her head would spin if she knew, perhaps followed by vomitting pea soup, but I can't be sure.) I use canned tomatoes that were grown in our garden, basil and oregano, also from our garden, and various herbs and spices that are all part of MY secret recipe. I have never let my grandma taste MY sauce, because... well, if you know her, you know why. But I guess regardless, I have her to thank for teaching me how to cook... but I won't give her the satisfaction. No, I will just thank my wife for letting me mess up her kitchen and turn into Gordon Ramsay. "YOU CALL THIS A SALAD!? THIS WILL NOT BE SERVED WITH MY SPAGHETTI!"

1 comment: