Saturday, May 16, 2009

Proof Reading

I have to be very, very careful with this post. I can make myself look like a total bozo if I fail to proof read. My beef is mainly with professional writers though. I am far from a professional anything, especially writer. But it seems as if it is everywhere. You can't reed a column in the sports page, New York Times, or an internet publication without running into the annoying typo, grammatical error, or just plain nonsensical sentence. I have a confession to make. It annoys me so much, that I emailed an editor of the Lincoln Journal Star and asked him who's job it is to proof read stories that are sent out to be printed. I know, I'm a jerk, but I have a therapist now. He, the editor, not my therapist, blamed it on time constraints and deadlines. (Aren't those the same thing?) I can understand that to a certain extent, but it seems to me that in recent years it has become commonplace to be enjoying a well written article and have a sentence that makes no sense whatsoever mess up your reading rhythm. Usually I blame myself first, "Oh, stupid me, I misread the sentence." But no, I go back and read it again, and it still makes no sense. Maybe it's just me, but I would like to think I am not the only one that has noticed this lack of pride journalists seem to take in their writing. But then again, does anybody take pride in anything they do anymore? (Disclaimer: Any mistakes found in this blog are due to time constraints and a lack of sleep.)

4 comments: