Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Traffic Part III

Before I set out on my latest rant, let me say that I am totally and completely guilty of what I am about to talk about. Let it be known, though, that I never did it until I moved to Stinkin' Lincoln. Therefore, I guess I am a convert of sorts. A non-willing cult member of Stinkin' Lincoln. But that doesn't mean I accept it. I fight against the tendency that is a staple of Stinkin' Lincoln driving. Now, on with the rant. Since starting this blog, I am constantly on the lookout for topics to blog about. So, as I was driving to work today, I come up to a red light, shocker I know, and there was one car already stopped at the light. I pull up behind her and notice she is at least a car length and a half from the crosswalk. Immediately I think, Traffic III. So, here we sit, talking about our next Traffic installment. You see, Stinkin' Lincolnites have this aversion to stopping anywhere near the cross walk. It's like they saw that old Mento's commercial and they think if they get too close to the crosswalk, someone is going to open their car door and crawl through their car to get to the other side. The worst is when they act like the crosswalk has the Swine Flu and they don't even get close enough to trip the sensor that tells the light that it has a car waiting for the light to turn green. As a result, we sit there... and sit there... and sit there, usually until someone that is coming from the opposite direction trips the sensor. I don't know why they do it. But it is annoying. It's always funny when I a friend from Omaha is riding with me in Lincoln, and they say, 'Why is that person stopped so far back from the intersection?' I wish I knew my friend. But what's embarrassing is when I am driving is Omaha with a friend from Omaha, and they say to me, 'Why are you stopped so far back from the intersection?' After making a Homer Simpson-like noise, I immediately pull the car up across the cross walk. And of course, some pedestrian wants to cross and gives me the bird because I have pulled up too far. Yep, Stinkin' Lincoln is a curse that I can't shake. Pray for me.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen this in Omaha ... I suppose it's a Lincoln person driving ... Anyways, my point is this ... When I do see this happen, I've always been tempted to pull up in the other lane and snake the person for the poll position. Just to prove the point that they've stopped ridiculously far back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry ... POLE Position. I'm that guy you talked about that doesn't proofread. Blame it on deadlines

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you caught it within the first minute of publication.

    ReplyDelete